Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Good Bread!










My 'Farmgirl' group was over a couple of weeks ago to learn about grains and bread-making. Everyone used my grain mill to grind some whole wheat flour (this must be done outside, or by my gracious and valiant husband, since it gives me instant allergies....plus it makes a lot of dust!), and we made homemade tortillas and a couple of loaves of my becoming-famous brown bread. I actually got this recipe from my friend Katie back in my homeschooling days, and I love it because it involves no yeast (therefore no waiting around for it to rise), and it is delicious. Oh, and when you are not sure if you will have 15 people or 20 people over for dinner, let's say, because, for example, you work with college students and no one ever rsvp's, easy loaves like these are a good filler! I made it last year for our annual St Patrick's Day dinner, and this year, one of our staff guys (who did rsvp, so bonus points for him!), sent me a text message that read, "No pressure, but are you making that brown bread again this year?" When I answered yes, he sent me another text that said, "YES!!!!" That pretty much made my day!
Here is the recipe in case you want to try. It is very easy, which is good, because I am, of course, very lazy.

BROWN BREAD

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 - 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
2 cups buttermilk
optional ingredients: 1 cup raisins and/or 1 cup chopped walnuts

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl, and mix the liquids in another bowl.
Stir liquids into the dry, until just-mixed. Add any optional ingredients.
Pour batter into a greased, floured loaf pan and bake at 375 for 50-60 minutes.
Remove from pan, and cool well before slicing.
Pappas family addition: When serving, spread with a really good amount of butter.
Enjoy!

No comments: