Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Zucchini Game is ON


This morning I got up at 6 a.m. and baked a cake (because we don't have a/c, all summer indoor cooking must be done at crazy hours).  A chocolate-zucchini cake.  Yes, zucchini.  If you have it in your garden, then you know what I'm talking about.  I don't know why it is so prolific here - maybe it's the sandy soil, or the perfect balance of sun and shade.  I suspect that it's just one of those vegetables that you simply can't kill (like radishes - which we picked last week. Hundreds. Not bad with a mixture of chili oil, rice vinegar, and brown sugar as a dressing).  Jack's magic beans must  have been zucchini seeds - he just threw them out the window and see what happened?  
On Monday evening we received our first bag of zucchini from our neighbor, Chuck.  It had a great assortment of a few regular green zucchini, a round zucchini, and a yellow zucchini.  In the Garden Farms Zucchini Game, we have been tagged, and we are IT.  We now have to either use up the zucchini (thus the cake experiment) or pass it on to someone else (there's a running joke in the neighborhood that if you are seen leaving your house during the summer, you will find a bag of zucchini on your porch when you get home.  It actually happens.).
But AHA!  I have an advantage (besides all of the creative recipes I have stockpiled over the winter....) in the form of 8 voracious hens who will eat just about anything I put in the coop; especially nice, juicy squash.  So when the humans at our house can't stomach any more zucchini in any form or fashion, I can just cut it up and give it to my plump, feathered garbage disposals.  That means, in the Zucchini Game, we win!

No comments: