Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Simplicity


One of the things that Jamey likes to do with our staff and interns is a weekly 'development' time, where we can discuss a skill or concept in-depth, and perhaps do some reading and / or thinking together. It is my turn to lead the discussion this time, and the topic is 'simplicity'. Basically, the goal is that, when you can view your things as gifts and blessings, you can be more content with what you have, and don't need to strive for more 'stuff'. The old, "do you own your possessions, or do they possess you?" question. The discipline of simplicity can be applied to not only material things, but also time and tasks. I think that my being in charge of this topic is, in literary terms, what I would call "ironic". I have posted a photo of our attic as proof, and to 1) keep me humble, and 2) illustrate my lack of expertise in the area of keeping things simple. Ahem.
I have taken the opportunity to re-read a couple of my favorite books: Richard Foster's Freedom Of Simplicity and Margin by Richard Swenson. Swenson's book is really good, but also ironic because, at the end of the final chapter, it contains a list of at least 50 things that you can do to simplify your life. Am I the only person who snickers about that?
And now, I must stop typing and go clean out my closet....

No comments: